Friday, April 29, 2005

Escaping "prison"

Tuesday morning at 6 am, I got a call from my wife in the hospital. She was crying and said she was homesick. She'd been in the hospital for 7 days following a total knee replacement. And she was scheduled to go to Cove's Edge for rehabilitation. Her bottom line was that she couldn't stand being there anymore. It was like being in prison. So with the blessing of her primary care physician and her orthpeodic surgeon, she went home! And I took her home.
She talked of having panic attacks, being dissatisfied with much of the help, and dirty conditions. She barely got any sleep at night and when she tried to sleep during the day, the nurses would say she had to sit up more. She also lost her appetite.
Since being home, she's had a few rough moments, but overall, she's done great. Looks healthier, sleeps at night, and has her appetite back. This morning she asked for three poached eggs on toast. Fortunately, a few days ago, she taught me how to make poached eggs! I'm no cook, but at least I can do eggs and other breakfast foods.
Since being home, she's also seen a nurse several times and the physical therapist. Plus she has the therapy of five loving dogs.
Talked to Richard yesterday. He's going through chemo and radiation treatment for cancer of the esophacus (sp). We spent a good half hour talking about his treatment, politics, my wife, our business, etc.

inman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home