Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Auditioning "Maine Style"

A few days ago, I heard from my agent (actually, she's sort of my agent but more about that sometime later) about an audition for a film entitled Sternman being shot nearby on one of the Maine islands. The character is an over 65 lobersterman. It's a supporting role, which is big time for me. You have to know too that number 1, not that many films are shot in Maine (ones set in Maine often get filmed in Canada!) and number 2, I'm a rank amateur but have been willing to participate in what is available.
Of course, I say I'm willing to give it a try. Not to mention that my wife has just come home from the hospital and I'm suppose to be getting my shop and house ready for the tourist season.
The casting director has me meet her at the northbound Kennebunk exit at, get this, Burger King, although she doesn't label it as Burger King, just the food area.
So she sends me a 102 page script that afternoon and I have to print it out in the midst of getting everything ready. Things are too confusing at the house, so I decide to leave at 3:30 so I can get down there by about 5:30 and have a chance to review the script before the audition. It's pouring rain all the way. Reading through 102 pages is still a bit of a strech, especially since I'm not sure which of two characters I'm auditioning for.
Sure enough, when I walk into the Burger King, I see a hand waving in the back. It's the casting director. I've kept running into her these past six years or so since she's about the only one around right now.
She has four young kids she's auditioning first but tells me my part is Popper. That helps a bit and I find one point in the script that might be the part she uses. Bingo, I was right.
She's got a small video camera set up on a table. There's also a guy there named Tom. (One of the writers of the script is Tom.) Tom interacts with the kids while Karen films.
At this point, I'm pretty relaxed. Afterall, I've spent a lot of time in Burger King.
Finally, it's my turn. I do my slate and Karen (the casting director) asks me where I live and we have a little informal discussion about Round Pond, etc.
The part I have to read is a full page where I talk to a young character called Eben. So I'm speaking towards Tom. In my case, he doesn't say anything.
I go through it once. Karen asks me to be a bit more matter of fact. And I do it again.
Still no reaction from Tom.
Then Karen asks if I can give it a Maine accent. I say I don't do a spontaneous accent well, but can rehearse it that way. She says something about the lobserman living his whole life on the Island, etc.
We call it a wrap. I leave a headshot and resume. We shake hands and she thanks me.
That's it.
My assessment is that I did a decent job on the part. But not being able to give it a Maine accent really hurt. (And, yes, I need to work on that.) My only other hope is that I might fit in a smaller role if they like my looks. Time will tell. As they say, that's show biz.
I go out in the rain and drive home.
Inman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home